Years ago, if you needed to deliver a speech, you had to stand behind a lectern before a group of people. Today, the internet has made it possible for everyone to engage an audience from the comfort of their own homes. You can film yourself speaking and then upload that video onto YouTube. Since you may potentially reach a larger audience on YouTube, it is critical that you make a good first impression and that you make your speech engaging.
1. Dress to impress. When giving your speech, you must look your best even if you’re sitting at home. You should wear an outfit that makes you look attractive and professional. Avoid wearing bright colored or patterned clothing as these types of clothes are distracting. Long earrings that dangle is one accessory you shouldn’t wear when giving a speech because they will make you look gaudy. Since you will be talking to your camcorder, you should wear makeup, enough to give your face some color.
2. Introduce yourself and your speech. Introduce yourself to your virtual audience then explain the objectives of your speech. Provide your audience with a brief explanation of why you’re the one to give this speech and how this information will benefit them.
3. Hook your audience. You need to hook your audience right at the start of your speech when you’re introducing yourself. You can do this through body gestures and through use of vocal variety. Eye contact, hand gestures and vocal variety are important because they keep the audience focused on you. Words are equally important because, if used properly, they will hold your audience’s attention.
Use descriptive words to convey meaning. Make your speech conversational, speak to your audience like you would to a friend. Avoid crutch words like ‘so’, ‘um’,’ uh’ and run-on sentences. These improper words will bog down your speech and make you look like an amateur.
4. Speak to your audience. People want to hear a speech that speaks to their needs. They also like to hear stories that they can relate to. People want to be inspired, informed and educated. As a speaker, it is paramount that you give your audience what they need to hear. It is not all about you, it is about them. You will do more to attract a large audience when you speak to people’s emotions or to their needs.
5. Memorize your speech. You can more easily rely on notes when you’re speaking directly to a group of people than when you’re speaking to a camcorder. The camcorder will pick up the shuffle of paper and that cannot be edited out. It also demonstrates your lack of care and preparation. Memorize your speech before you film it. Your ability to speak without notes will exhibit your confidence and intelligence.
6. Make your speech short and to the point. The ideal YouTube video is between 30 seconds and 1 minute. However, there is no way you can deliver your speech in that allotted length of time. At the same time, your speech should not exceed 2 minutes. For this reason, you will need to get right to the point in order to get your message across. If, however, you have prepared for a 10 minute speech that you want filmed and uploaded onto YouTube, you can break it down into a series of short speeches. In that case, you will need to end each speech episode on a cliff hanger. For example, you could say, “stay tuned for part two.”
It takes as much effort to deliver a speech on YouTube as it does in a conference room. However, if you follow all of these steps, you will shine.